About three weeks ago I was diagnosed with a large thyroid which has grown inward in my throat, covering the wind pipe( Trachea ) and pushing the wind pipe to the right side of my chest.
The growth has also caused a narrowing of the trachea, making the air passage smaller.
A series of tests were done, including ultra sound scans,Cat scans,FNCS tests, blood samples,and numerous x rays etc. The doctors advice that I need to undergo surgery.
The procedure is going to be complicated, since in addition to removing the large growth, they have to straighten the trachea and there is a danger that it might spring back, snap and break.
Hence it is a potentially life threatening procedure. I asked the doctor for two months to fulfil some of the commitments I have undertaken before undergoing surgery.
Although he was initially agreeable to this, after seeing the reports, the surgeon has recommended that I undergo surgery as soon as possible.
I am consulting other senior surgeons too for their opinions.
In the meantime I will complete my immediate commitment of advocacy and lobbying meetings scheduled next week with both the UK and EU parliaments.
The Surgeon is very keen to do it as soon as possible as he is worried it could be malignant. Only after surgery this can be determined 100 percent.
The Cat scan shows white patches inside the growth which could be nodular cysts or malignant areas.
Blood samples outside the growth showed negative. Which is good news. Taking into account all this I decided to bring forward my surgery to June.
God willing if there are no complications I should be able to travel again by July or August. At this point anyway I cannot be certain. Only after surgery in June I will know the real situation.
I want to keep you informed about this situation.
I would greatly appreciate your prayers .